The commercial office building energy efficiency disclosure scheme has now come into full effect.
The bill applies to the following:
- A whole building with a NLA (Net Lettable Area) greater than 2000m2 that is to be sold.
- A whole building with NLA above 2000m2 that is to be leased or subleased.
- When part of building with a NLA above 2000m2 is leased or subleased.
- When part of building in excess of 2000m2 with multiple tenants under 2000m2, BEEC is required at sale only (not lease).
The BEEC (Building Energy Efficiency Certificate) includes three components:
- A National Australian Built Environment Rating System (NABERS) Energy base building rating. If a base building rating cannot be conducted due to lack of metering, a whole building NABERS rating may be used.
- A tenancy lighting assessment which benchmarks the existing tenancy lighting (that will be passed on to the incoming tenant or building owner) against best practice.
- Energy efficiency guidance which provides general advice to building owners and tenants on common energy efficiency opportunities in commercial office buildings.
The Building Energy Efficiency Certificate is valid for up to 12 months. At the time of disclosure, the certificate will need to be valid, current and registered on the scheme’s online central registry. The NABERS Energy star rating needs to be disclosed in any advertisement about the sale, lease or sublease of the office.
During the transition period from 1st November 2010 until 31st October 2011, only the NABERS component was required to be disclosed. As of the 1st November 2011, the full BEEC must be disclosed.
New buildings are exempt for the first 2 years. This is to allow for the collection of 12 months of data to enable a rating. Short term leases under 12 months will be exempt from the scheme.
The BCA 2010 and 2011 now requires ACT, Victoria and South Australia to achieve a 6-star average and 5-star minimum for individual units.
Queensland, Tasmania and Northern Territory now require a 5-star average with a minimum of 4 stars for each unit.